Sunday, September 21, 2008

Off the rail- without the gloves


So, yeah, a primal reaction to the Palin Derangement Syndrome(PDS). . .who would have believed that someone as low key and even keel as I could react in such a way. . .

Something just snapped in the aftermath of this event, and the reality that was will never be again. . .a new reality has been started. I will never, ever look at the gender issues of today like I did before. . .

See, in the old reality, I was working under the assumption that when people were "pro choice", they really meant free choice, the right to choose. . .and even if that meant someone making a choice they did not agree with. . .

To be fair, I really did question the support of women who considered families and roles that go with it to be so beneath them. . .and who curled their lips at my mere mention of my kids and such. . .the unspoken rule that said that while we, as a department, revile the Universal worker concept of Acker. . .damn it shut the hell up about your effing kids. . .and oh, of course I can get through grad school, if this loser mom can so can I. . . the lowered expectations for me. . .from my cohort. . .and that condescending attitude if I had to miss class, and the belief that not having childcare was "avoiding my contractual obligations, I still have the email, Bill!. . .well, you know how it is, she has leprosy. . .I mean kids. . .which ok, fine, your choice. . .BUT, do NOT come crying to me when you yourself want/have kids!! Do not try to pretend that you did not treat me like shit, that you did not belittle me or underestimate me. . .and DO NOT expect me to make things better for you, in fact, if you are a one of those "delicate" women when you are pregnant. . .whining constantly about how "sick" you are, and skipping work. . .you will be comforted, but I will do my best to distance myself from you, since my jobs over the course of having my family did not qualify for "incomplete" and if I just stopped going to those jobs, I would be fired. . .and as I was the one paying the bills, and the insurance, THAT was not an option! And until things change, this will have to be the way things are- I worked my ass off to get where I am, and if you are going to ruin it by acting like you are the only one who had it rough. . .feh! Grab your saltines and get er DONE.. . .after all, if someone like me can do it 6 times over. . . so can you. Right? Maybe it will sink in how fucking HARD this all is, but ONLY after it has happened to you, apparently that is the only way mother's issues become important for some women. . .when they find themselves on the RECEIVING end of their own bad medicine. . . and that is exactly how it will continue as long as we make the political default assumption that parties will ever care as much as we do about our situations. . .ya think?

However, this is really a new world for me- I had always assumed that since things were rough all over in the female spectrum, that no matter the personal politics, we could refrain from being Roes in a barrel, and not pull one another down. That we would look at Palin's chances and even if we could not agree on politics, we could agree that in the seat of executive power, we could get some sort of difference in perspective. . .a woman in this office would be a step forward. . .she could either be the universal worker, with a stay at home dad there for the kids, and reconfigure the whole caretaker role for men. She could spotlight the work/job reality for working women, out loud, and instead of aromatherapy, maybe something else could be suggested to make it easier. . .to be a woman who works, not a working woman.

Alas, it was/is the WRONG woman, I now see that, and for all of my assumptions, I now know that while I am expected to support each and every liberal cause and party. . .no allowances will be made for my right to choose differently. My status as woman is a start, but it is really my politics that are important. . .and the bigger picture will be ignored by the very people who spent the better part of their lives screaming about sexist unfair treatment and the right to choose. . .guess I should have read the fine print. I now realize that while I am supposed to support women's issues that I do not agree with, due to politics, others are free to laugh behind their hands at my belief that I have accomplished anything. . .after all, I chose to have kids, what did I expect. . of COURSE my chances and opportunities will be limited based on that. . .NOT!!! What complete bullshit.

See, for the PDS sufferers, it is ONLY politics that matters.

This political basis for "support" for diverse positions in the gender realm is terribly problematic for me- under this model, I am only allowed to support what the party does. . .and I cannot, will not do that.

So- I may get around to posting the photos from the McCain rally where an Obama supporter tried to attack me, for real, and I was not wearing anything to support the ticket- I was only asking them to get out of my way, so I could hear their message. The supporter tried to keep me from doing that, and when I told her to 'back her change sign out of my way" she tried to hit me with it. . .all for change sake. Yes, change! From freedom of speech and the right to present political views to threats of violence from the Change party. . .niiiiiiice.

The vile vicious attacks on this ticket that are as sexist as they are political really look scary up close, and while I think Obama will surpass Clinton in moral bankruptcy, Obama's changelings will be the ones to watch, no matter what the election results are, a fine choice between 1984 liberal Orwellian stylings and 4 years of accusations of racism. . .yeah, I was BORN a cynic. . .

So, the gloves are off now- I will not be supporting a party anymore- fuck that, my party doesn't support me, it supports its own interests, which is the height of elitism. . .

Gloves are off- enjoy the ride! I know I will, with every ounce of my 6 kids having, pro life choosing, mom role loving, religion clinging, XX having heart!

I am woman, hear me THINK!

No comments: