Tuesday, September 9, 2008

More about Hidden Pregnant, Missed Opportunity

About that comment about hiding a pregnancy-

When I was working as a floor nurse on 2nd shift, a spot on 1rst opened up. That shift was MOST vulnerable to the illnesses and unpredictability of motherhood- childcare and school vacations were just the tip of the Maternal iceberg. . .so that I had young children meant that I was probably not going to get the job, but when I found out I was having Muffin, I knew that would sink my chances- this is just after the FMLA took effect. . .so no one was really serious about it, for all of the information sessions held. . .

So, in house selection began, and as the 2nd shift nurse with the most time on the job who wanted to switch, I had a good chance, even with the kids at home. KIA was going to be in school, and Ziff was already in school full days, so the chances looked really good. . .until I found out Muffin was on his way.

I was able to hide this situation for a full 6 1/2 months. . .until someone saw me out of uniform and commented on my condition at work. . .which got my second interview for the day slot cancelled without official reason, and the position went to a woman with 1 child. . .who was a senior in high school. . . the new nurse had. . .never worked as a nurse before, having gone to school to avoid the empty nest that was on its way (her son was enlisting).

Two days later, I got a 'congrats a gram' from corporate about my 'impending doom', oops I mean 'arrival'- when I tried to go back after Muffin was born, I had a job full time waiting. . .3rd shift and 1 less day a week, and take it or leave it. . .

I left it, I had to, and that was that FMLA did not save me my job, it saved me A job, one that I could not fill. . .

The end of my nursing career.

No comments: