Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Still Autistic


Precious had is IEP along with his evaluation for continued services. . .and hey guess what, he's still autistic. . .shocka!

One part of these evaluations is the testing. . .and it is during this time that I get so frustrated with the standardized testing process. . .grrr

On paper, using these tests, he looks like a very disadvantaged child. He is right on the EDGE of being considered severely disabled. . .based on these test scores.

I realize so deeply and acutely that he and I adapt to one another seamlessly, and for the most part, I can read him well, and I WISH I could be part of the testing world for him.

Dammit I have been fighting for 8 years to get him adapted to the real world. Together we have make a life, a routine, a LANGUAGE together, and I have been acting as interpreter to his reality. . .translating from our language to the world and back. . .and even in this meeting, I asked them to contextualize things differently in hopes that maybe the next batch of tests will look more like him. . .but I am not holding my breath.

Precious, still autistic, still awesome, still under the umbrella. . .

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a very loving and wonderful mother. It is displayed with passion through your blogs. Parenthood is a cherished thing, always keep it near to your heart - as you already do.

Ema said...

It is truly why I am still alive, I know I have worth in their eyes, and it is enough. . .

Anonymous said...

Yes, but dont forget you have worth in many peoples eye. Many, many, many lots O' peoples eyes! ;)