Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Hoarding. . .Under the Umbrella

No not what you think- not that new show on TLC about people who will not throw things out and the police and professional sanitary people have to be called. . .a different kind.
Let me explain-
When I was growing up- I remember not having food. Literally, there was none, nothing at all to eat. Empty cupboards, and no idea when they would hold food again. As hard as things were when I was a kid- and I am the one who took eviction notices from landlords because my mom would not, could not do it, who let WPS in to shut off the heat for nonpayment, and who for a period of time was pregnant and homeless. . .NOT having food AND not knowing when food was going to be had again was just.plain.torture. As a kid it was and is my worst childhood memory, and I have plenty to compete with that, but it was a complete and total sense of weakness, powerlessness and vulnerability and terror, not to mention the physical parts of being hungry. Over time, it remains with me, and now, it is back with a vengeance.
I have noticed when I am stressing out about money, I begin to hoard food- esp canned goods and just keep adding to the shelves. I have needed a coat for a few months now- I buy more food instead, and now, with the news of not having funding and the games being played with support, I have begun again to collect pasta, sauce, fruit, tuna, anything that will feed my kids even if we live in the car. . .pretty sad I know, very pathetic, but there it is, because as horrible as it was to live through as a child, if my children have this happen as well. . .indescribable pain, I'd rather take 100 courses of chemo than have this happen, it is that simple.
While I understand that the people on the new TV show are messed up, sometimes they find dead things in the debris. . .I confess that I understand the comfort that comes from being surrounded by food to feed your children, no matter how it looks. . .just saying

2 comments:

laurafingerson said...

You should write a book. I know I have said this before, but you should totally write a book. Have you read "The Glass Castle"?

Now, you have friends that would never let your cupboards go empty and would never let you be homeless. Your children will not experience that.

That is one big can of Pork Beans!

Ema said...

Actually a pic off a website. . .but I do buy things that are not kosher when they go on sale and give them to the food drives. . .I know makes no sense but I have to give to these each and every time- for obvious reasons. . .
Thanks Laura.