Monday, May 24, 2010

Where eagles, angels and Barbara fear to tread. . .

So, in looking at the past month, and remembering a certain book and how freaking mad it made me then- I decided to dust off that book and wow had forgotten just how many of the details of why I was so angered by her book.
First- research methodology. . .I know she's not an academic any more than Faludi is, but wow, it is just so glaring this far into my research at how flawed her book is, yet how many people tout it as research. . .
Second- her reliance on fast food and her refusal to work in it. I so would love to see what would happen if she actually stood a post with me at the Arches. . .or how I would be written about in her notes. . .what would my story be, hmmmm. . .and how would she fare if she had to live a life like mine? Kids, childcare, and all things mother related. . .would so like her to just try to live my life for a day.
Third- her conclusions, to this DAY years after reading it for the first time, that make me mad, specifically her assertion that by walking out of Jerry's in the middle of her "perfect storm" was not a major mistake, quite the opposite, she contends that she did a great job despite her age and severe overqualification for the jobs she took. . .to this day it irks me to think about being her coworker and having to deal with the fallout that would possibly affect business. . .but knowing what I know about the service industry, I am sure that all would have been forgiven and forgotten in time, the whole place being in chaos and she bails.
So feel an open letter coming on, but I hear babies ready to get up and get to school, and then mom gets to sleep:)

4 comments:

laurafingerson said...

Why didn't you tell me years ago?! We could have picked a different book if it would have resonated with our students!

Anonymous said...

Oh I think it was good for the students. . .I am just saying she never did fast food but ate a lot of it:)

laurafingerson said...

Yet another reason why *you* should write a book!

Anonymous said...

I'd like to know more about why you don't like N&D. I've stopped assigning it because it doesn't effectively shock UWM students, who have too many of the same humiliating experiences that she reports.

Amanda