Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Happy Birthday Punkin. . .

Dear Gambit King, aka Punkin-
24 years ago today, my life changed forever, you made me a mom on Mother's Day. You were not due until June 22, but you were 6# 14oz anyway, and well, since you are now 6'4" I guess you were going to be the biggest preemie on the block;)

I am writing you to tell you that I am so proud of the man you have become , and how blessed I feel to be your mom. You have shown grace under fire, calm in the storm and you have made me realize just what you are made of- pure steel with enough give to bend slightly when you have to, and wow, that will serve you well in life!
You have finally seen that you have a voice, a place in the world outside, and that you are able to reach new heights, risk more and gain more as you grow into the life that is yours. You are amazing you are my first born, you are a source of love, admiration and pride and I love you.
I tried so hard to not put anything on you for the most part. I expected you to be strong, to be moral and caring, I wanted you to be a good person, and when it came to being happy- I wanted you to discover what made you happy, not what I could give you to bring you happiness. Being a teen mom, I was aware that people were wondering what kind of man you would be, what burdens or barriers you would face because I was not as old and as travelled and wise as older moms might have been, but Punkin, we did it didn't we? We got you to a place where you know who and what you are and that makes all the difference in the world. I know your life is not what you want but YOU own it, and you are getting ready to change it. . .and I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!
Happy Birthday, Gambit King- I love you.
Ema

No comments: