Sunday, February 17, 2008

What if we held an election and "none of the above" won?

So, the democrats were here last night, http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=719026 and Obama stated that Washington is "where good ideas go to die". . .I would add that good intentions go there too. . .and this further supports my position that he will be the most abysmal disappointment- and well, since I am already making predictions, I foresee that the antil war people will be the most profoundly disappointed and the ones disappoint first- here's why;

Sociology 101- the differences between modern (US) cultures and traditional(Iraqi) cultures when it comes to social change- the amount of time required for change. We think that 5 years is "a long time" and that the change should have happened already, but none of my Intro students can pass my class without hearing that the change we are asking from the people in Iraqi culture is HUGE, and that the barriers to that change are entrenched in norms, tradition and the long standing coherent body of knowledge they build their realities on for everyday life. Here is another thing- how will it improve the "standing" of the US if we pull out the troops and leave the Iraqi people to their own (explosive) devices? Those that believed enough to ink ther fingers purple and vote for the most dangerous of social change, akin to those who rode buses into hostile populations to free the vote? Should the US, in true selfish self intersted form, abandon those who stood for "change"?
I have 2 draft age sons- I know what is at risk, but I also know that leaving this situation for the sake of "ending the war" deliberatly ignores the people who are there working for change. There have been 4 bombings this week, hundreds killed, with US troops, what will the carnage be like if troops are pulled by 2009? Will that make us better people in a better country? To leave this situation because we 'changed our mindset" (another Obama mainstay) and to what end? How on earth will this make us better?

So- healthcare, he continues to say he will provide it for all, and cut taxes AND raise the minimum wage, AND close tax loopholes for businesses. . .hmmmm, I am no financial scholar, but last I heard, all of those things will cost money. . .where will it come from?

So, many of you have responded with the " of course they are going to lie, they are politicians, what did you expect" which leads to the question of the day- are we EVER going to say "look, cut the bullshit, tell us the TRUTH, we CAN handle it" Are we truly tied to this horrible pattern of "perfect until proven flawed in office" mentality? Are we, as a country EVER going to be ready for a politician that will/could say "look, I smoked pot when I was in college, I am gay, I am bi, I'm asexual, I was a homemaker, I never had kids, I know I am going to make mistakes, and I am probably not going to be able to fill an iota of these grand ideas, and many of my ideas will not work because of the way we run our system, but I promise you that I will always have your best interests at heart, and I will make the tradeoffs favor you all as much as possible"

Obama is already accepting free tickets for his kids and meals and tables at the chi chi trend factories. . .sounds like is his well into the socialization process- membership in Washington HAS its advantages. . .

"none of the above"/"these choices all SUCK" for President 2008- ;)

Slogan "Telling it like it is, for, of and by the people no more"

No comments: