Monday, May 11, 2009

For my Mother's Day Baby

Pumpkin Baby-

23 years ago today, I became a mom, your mom, on Mother's Day. You were a month and a half early, but weighed 6 pounds and 14 ounces, and you were born at 12:19pm. . .some light hair, and a sweet disposition, you slept like an angel. . .which I never took for granted after your siblings came along. . .

Sweetheart, that day was just an amazing moment, and every year, it becomes more and more amazing- as you get older and older, and have kids of your own some day, you will realize what I am talking about, maybe you already do- but you will really REALLY understand once you hold that child, and wonder at who they will be-

I confess, I did not imagine what your would be as an adult, no dreams of being a doctor, or a lawyer, or some other frou frou job- I only imagined how you would be as a person, and you are, by far, one of the most polite and considerate men I have ever known in my family. Your intellect, and your humor, and your affection and love you show to us all, me and the kids, is so special and so wonderful, you give to us from your heart every day, and I am so very VERY proud of the man you are now.

I know I was a teenager when you were born, and I know that part of the fear I felt that day was that I was going to really suck at being a mom, and well, you and I both know that I made mistakes, a LOT of them, but over time, we began to understand one another, and from there, we have become better people. One thing I never doubted was my ability to love you, Gambit. You had my heart before you were born, and I never EVER worried about my capacity to love you. . .it was there waiting for you when you were born.

I was not perfect, I did not read parrenting books, and when you were a baby, you;

slept on your back
Ate creal at 4 months
ate eggs at 4 months
used a walker. . .with wheels
faced the front in your car seat
played on playgrounds that had. . .gasp. . .concrete and asphalt!
You wore clothes with buttons and had a bumper pad on your crib
I carried you everplace and took you everywhere with me
we explored Madison, Mendota, Green Bay, Milwaukee, and Appleton you were my trust co pilot in the passenger seat, and we went all over the place. . .you and me

Gambit, words really cannot express just how much I love you, my sweet first born son, the first and most special Mother's Day present I ever got. . .a beautiful sweet son who today, is a 23 year old man that makes me proud. . .every minute of every day!

Love you,

Ema

No comments: