Wednesday, May 28, 2008

I wish I could tell you this is rare

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,358956,00.html

But it is not! Now this year, and last year, the school that Precious goes to has been WONDERFUL! The teachers are some of the best people ever, and the kids in his class are first rate to him.

The principal however, is another story, if she could arrange it, she would have voted my son out of her school pronto. . .all for the good of other students, of COURSE. The needs of the many was her main argument, which was at complete odds with the stated policy of the school district, and well, commom decency. . .but I digress.

I had an idea for what was going on in my head, and it wound up coming out with this story- the past few days have really taken me back. . .and not in a good way!

One of the reasons that I have seldom verbalized, about why sociology holds so much of my interest is grounded in my childhood- more so than anything psychology ever could, in fact, if I had stayed in psych, who knows where I would be. . .

Sociology, the effects of many social factors allowed me to hope that the way I grew up did not define me in any way that I could not change, it allowed me to view life as progress, not lock step, and the effects of that realization made everything else possible, and close.

Yet, there are still challanges, like when a member of society who has reached adult age, but not maturity, calls my son a retard. . .then ummmm, something happens, I turn into white trash women inside, want to go Jerry Springer on her. . .inside. . .and I am amazed by that reaction in me, having convinced myself that I was beyond all of that, and mature. Guess not, because I ended up confronting her, and telling her, in front of her "crew" that I would not tolerate her language and that if she would be so kind as to concern herself with her own life and kids, that would be great. . .and we will see.

All in all, it was pretty calm. . .but inside? Wow, the Momma Bear LIVES!

Meeting with my chair today. . .start my prelims. . .I am hoping to graduate May 2010. . .I can do it. . .ask anyone who knows me!

Better get on the paper work!

No comments: