Friday, August 29, 2008

Anger and Flow

Vanir's Left Fist of Brutality


As noted earlier, I have been reassigned to the basement, for office space for my adjuncting position. The room is reported to be "a nice space" well, as a nice a basement space can be next to the custodian's closet and the boiler. . .it stinks like a basement, it is dark like a basement. . .it IS a BASEMENT!

So, I thought that would be the worst of it. . .I was wrong! My contract was not drafted, for some reason, until all hopes of getting paid today were gone, and the reaction of the person giving me the news was not all that encouraging. She was, of course, busy helping more important people with THEIR work. . .and the fact that STUDENTS are the most important part of a college or university, without them there is no school, and as someone who has a primary focus ON students, my work should be pretty important too. . .not so much. No apology, no sympathy, no emotion, just a "well, sucks to be you" kind of attitude. And that was going to be it. . .BUT

I have a car payment at the end of the month, and I was freaking out, the money just runs out of the bank. . .and I did not know what to do.

I showed up to teach for the first day of class. . .with no contract, just signed it today, after teaching classes without one. . .and the department heads were all there, and I asked if the contract was there-nope. They were very nice, but I explained it felt like a huge sting to have something so vital to my family, my paycheck, be treated so lightly, and how was I going to make my car payment. . .I was really really upset.

I was able to get some help from the school, and I really appreciate it. . .I was just so stunned that the work of an adjunct is so low on the scale of importance. . .

So, I will hang on until the 15th. . .DAMMIT!



No comments: