Sunday, October 28, 2007

Stats is done. . .for now


and other than an alarming lack of association between my variables. . .all is well.

So, why am I grateful to the Wiggles? Long before the dreaded autism word was a part of our lives, I already knew something was wrong with the way Precious was acting. He was not speaking at all by the time he was 2, Cocoa was born, and the doctor thought he was just mad- but I knew. So, we finally figured out what was wrong-autism, and the thought of what was going to be, what was, and of course, what was not made life a pretty tough thing for awhile.

Precious was NEVER a sit and rock kid- he was a jump off the bed across the room kid, so days were exhausting, and stressful. Plus, as he grew, it became clear to him that WE did not get him, and we did not help him when he needed it, because we did not understand what he needed. . .so we, as a collective, were pretty stressed.

One day, in utter desperation, I turned on the TV, determined to sit for 5 minutes and mope- and Playhouse Disney was running a show I had never heard of- 4 adult men in pastel shirts(see above) dancing and singing about kids stuff (note to self, Google these freaks AT ONCE) I was about to turn it off. . .and Precious did the strangest thing- he started to dance and sing. . .SING the song after a few minutes of listening. . .I was horrified and ecstatic. . .most in awe of my child, in this moment, actually comprehending, and listening! Wow, indeed.

So, these years later, and he is still a big fan, mostly of Captain Feathersword. . .but the group as a whole continues to capture his full attention.

So, I am going to be FOREVER in debt to 4 Aussie men who defied gender stereotypes and made me aware of my son's potential. . .found out later that all 4 have education degrees and that many other developmentally delayed children have had a lot of progress using their music.

G'Day!!

No comments: