Tuesday, October 16, 2007

And now, a word about school

Ok, stats is going better- finally understand Stata and have been doing well on the outputs. So, cool.

However, a long standing, transAtlantic feud is now home to roost, and it is getting beyond pathetic.

I shall explain- Bck in 2005, an instructor I have know since undergrad(which for me is 2002) was having a party at her "estate." When I got the e mailed invitation and saw who was invited, I assumed I was invited in error, and deleted the message. This instructor approached me in the hall and was insistant that I should attend. I scrambled to make arrangements for childcare, feeling QUITE important and daydreaming about the supposed status as "promising doctoral student" ready to be feted around. . .and was CRUSHED and HUMILIATED beyond belief when I arrived at the estate. . .dressed for the party. . .and told I would be serving the drinks, thus saving said instructor A TON OF MONEY(so she said) and well, I heard I was thanked during some conversation, I did not hear it, as I was dealing with a red wine spill in the sunroom(honest to G-D, I was!!!!!) wow, what a night. So, I hung out with the caterers, got asked to serve at another function (complete with business card) and cried myself home. . .not a penny offered, even for gas!

So, the relationship was a bit strained. . .at least on my end. She asked me to code some data for her as an overload, since I had a 50% appointment already, because she was off to England(hence the trans Atlantic), she apparently was unhappy with my refusal to work MORE than the 10 extra hours. . .and was rather put out. I did not realize HOW put out until this week- when I saw her between classes, and she did not return my greeting-despite having seen me. . .no big deal, but YESTERDAY was so ridiculous. . .I had to see another prof down the hall from her, walked by her office twice, the second time, while I was passing, she SLAMMED the door as I went by looking right at me!

Alllllllllrighty then, I guess I will not be asked back to serve at HER estate again- which, of course, cuts me sooooooo deep. . .NOT!

Good thing I no longer need her for my committee, bet she thinks I do, but I do not! I hope:)

Sigh, I could have used the serving experience, in case this whole doctoral thing doesn't work out!

No comments: