Sunday, October 14, 2007

One unsung hero. . .until now

Casey The fearless

What was THAT??
So, I have to be honest at this point- I was wrong about this dog. Let me explain, I did not want another dog. We had a dog for 12 year-Ladyhawke. She died, and I was in NO hurry to get a new one. It was too much work- too much hurt if G-d forbid something goes wrong. But Butter would not let it go. He kept up with the constant pleas, so I decided to get this issue done with once and for all. I went to the pound thinking there would be no dogs available. 3 HUGE rooms full of dogs to choose from. Sigh. So, one whole room had to be avoided because the dogs were pretty kid unfriendly. So, went to the kid friendly dog room- and a massive barking session began- all the doge were going nuts. . .except a little black lab looking pup. Who sat straight up, looking right at me, as if to say "what TOOK you so long???" So, got her out for a look- and despite all my efforts, I LIKED HER. Sigh.
So, the DEAL BREAKER, I took Precious to see her. The pound lady told me that 2 other families had been in since yesterday, but that Casey had jumped all over them, and they took a pass on her. So, I am thinking- deal breaker. Except what happened next sealed the deal. Casey came out, and took one look at Precious, and headed straight for him. Sat right in front of him and waited. Precious pretended not to see her. . .for awhile, then he held out his hand slowly, and Casey waited, until it got close, licked it very gently and waited. Precious bent over to pet her, and she nuzzled him- did I mention she was a 7 month old PUPPY??
I got her the next week- and the next day a new therapist started, and Precious was not interested in working with her and started to cry-Casey pushed the door open and stood in front of Precious barking and growling until I said it was ok, after I had checked everything out.
This morning, I was wrecked after staying up too late working on Stats- and woke up late, well, later than usual. I did not hear Precious and ran to his room- Casey was there already-in his bed his arms wrapped around her and she was alert and waiting for me. Once I told her I had him, she trotted off to play with Cocoa and Butter.
I am sorry that I did not want her at first, she has made such a difference in our lives. I actually referred to myself as "mommy" to her the other night- I NEVER did that before. Sigh. I am hooked, I am officially a dog person.

No comments: