Monday, August 27, 2007

Why adjuncting SUCKS

Ok, so first day back to campus, classes start on Wed. I am teaching 3 back to back Intro to Sociology classes starting at 9am 3xs a week. I have been doing this for over a year, well a year and a semester.

My evaluations from the department and the students have been above the norm in both content, presentation, and well the "interesting" scale is also earing good reviews.

So, I go to my "office" if you can call a desk I share with 8 other "instructors" an office and lo- there is now a 1990 version of a compac monitor, and the Dell flat screen monitor is gone. Also, to complete the ensemble, a 1990 keyboard, complete with appropriate stain/crud build up is now where I am suppose to work.

I ask if the "regular" computer that was in the office before was being fixed, and I was told that this was the "new" adjunct computer because there were a lot of "full time" people who started over the summer. . .WTF????

Even better, there are now several more FILE CABNETS in this small office. . .so I can now say that I am in storage when I have office hours! Just last spring, I was so sure that I was making a mark at this place. . .yet I am now pretty sure that I am expected to deal with whatever I get, and not ask for too much as an adjunct. . .whoa! Grrrrrrr! Whoa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: