Monday, August 27, 2007

KIA- Can you leave for college a year early??

Ok, now I know that I cannot be the only parent who has reached the point where the KIA child is Waaaaaay too tragically hip to be tolerated. Meaning that my 17 year old is now in the "this is my last year of hs, I want to enjoy it" mode, and by "enjoying" it he means do NOTHING but hang out, no job, no chores, just good times. As I was raised in a family where hard work and earning things was MANDATORY, we are just not seeing eye to eye on this. In one breath he starts to complain that he has no money to do anything and in the next he is too busy to work. . .ummmmm, yeah, way to go my son of many contradictions. Combine that with a mother who has not had a pay check in 2 months and who is not had the summer off. . .and you get sparks!

I want, I need I have to have this that the other thing. . .what the hell? I have no idea where this privileged indulgence driven persona came from, but I did not raise this little bundle of raw consumerism! I am not a Marxist, but I am pretty immune to the whole "buy your way to good parenting". . .and it is REALLY a leap for me to say "but of COURSE you need the bling case for your mp3 player. . . I was young once too" Feh!

Now his big thing is Marquette http://www.mu.edu/. He wants to go to Law School there. . .ooooooook, better get on that job search, I can put in a good word for you where I worked, see if I can do ya a solid and create the mother son Crew at the West side MD's. . .sigh, maybe adjuncting is not so bad, it just pays crummy and the people treat you like you are the crew member at the Mc Donald's of Higher Ed. Too funny!

So, I know myself well enough to ensure that he will survive his senior year, and that I will be packing his things to go to college. . .starting tomorrow. I have to have SOMETHING to look forward to! :)

No comments: