Sunday, November 8, 2009

Fall Musings
















So, one of my students observed that Thanksgiving is about 3 weeks, less than 3 weeks away. . .already. . .and it got me thinking, what are we truly thankful for and what do we truly values in our lives?
Over these last 3 years, I have had a lot of opportunity, some would argue too many opportunities, to ponder my place, if there is one, in this world, is it a duty to leave a mark, some positive stamp on the world you inhabit for a lifetime, or are we to shuffle off quietly, without making too much of a fuss?
For a very long time now, I have been thinking that my role, my duty and obligation was to make something of myself- that if I did not have what I started out to get, that it would mean that I had somehow failed in life, no matter what I actually did achieve. Over the past few months, I have come to realize that who I am may just be good enough. . .but that I will feel so totally COMPLETE with my doctorate, and that has made all the difference. My education has always been fun, but now, it is so much more so, because it will add to who I already am, not validate me as a human being. . .does that make sense?
Also, by focusing on the goal, I realized I was missing the journey, and THAT was just not acceptable. The journey has been INCREDIBLE and it is STILL incredible, and new and wonderful things are still possible. . .and in honor of that realization. . .some of the journey so far. See above for precious steps on this journey.










No comments: