Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Time to catch up


So- the semester winds down- well, to be honest, with the amount of reading I have been doing- it seems like play, over all one of the best semesters I have had in awhile. So, it keeping my promise to post at length about a few things here we go;


A month ago, a terrorist attack shook many in the Jewish world- the attack on the Chabad House in Mumbai, India, and the Jewish victims found by the Indian police were described as such; "Of all the bodies, the Israeli victims bore the maximum torture marks," a doctor who performed a post-mortem told the Indian news website Rediff.com. "It was clear that they were killed on Friday. It was obvious that they were tied up and tortured before they were killed. It was so bad that I do not want to go over the details even in my head again," he said.

Another doctor commented, "It was very strange. I have seen so many dead bodies in my life, and was yet traumatized. A bomb blast victim´s body might have been torn apart and could be a very disturbing sight. But the bodies of the victims in this attack bore such signs about the kind of violence of urban warfare that I am still unable to put my thoughts to words," he said. Intelligence officials confirmed the doctors´ observations. Ajmal Kamal, the only terrorist who was not killed after he and his gang had managed to murder nearly 200 people and wound hundreds others, told officials that the terrorists "were specifically asked to target the foreigners, especially the Israelis." One doctor told Rediff it was certain that most if not all of the Israelis were killed on or before Friday. Intelligence Bureau sources were quoted as estimating that the terrorists did not want to keep them alive in order not to attract international attention.


Horrific doesn't even begin to describe this event, that STILL stings and wounds my heart. For a very personal reason, Chabad House saved my life, literally- and that of my oldest son.


Alone, teenaged, and pregnant-having lost my place in the family home, no job, no help, I was at rock bottom. Many cities, in many years, first for the military, then for work meant I had no real and true support system of any kind. Until I was saved by Chabad, literally. No questions asked, I was taken into the house, fed, given clothes, and care. With their support and good deeds, my baby and I survived until I could work, after I turned 16, and eventually I got back on my feet in time to welcome my son, born 6 weeks early, but healthy.


Yes, the gender issues with this level of Jewish observance do offend the more enlightened, and I count myself among them, until I actually met them, and the wholesale dismissal of these wonderful people over that issue is a huge disservice. . .to the enlightened. The World to Come is for those who allow their deeds to shine on the world, and Chabad actually walks the walk of living a Jewish life. Chabad's people are more than just gender stratified Jews. . .and their kindness had an immediate and lasting impact on my life.


Those murdered in India were there in the service of G-d and fellow human beings, and they died for that mission- and my heart breaks every time I think of it. For the victims of Chabad house in Mumbai, I say Kaddish- and I know my prayers will be heard;


Glorified and sanctified be G-d's great name throughout the world which He has created according to His will.

May He establish His kingdom in your lifetime and during your days, and within the life of the entire House of Israel, speedily and soon; and say,

Amen.

May His great name be blessed forever and to all eternity. Blessed and praised, glorified and exalted, extolled and honored, adored and lauded be the name of the Holy One, blessed be He, beyond all the blessings and hymns, praises and consolations that are ever spoken in the world; and say,

Amen.

May there be abundant peace from heaven, and life, for us and for all Israel; and say,

Amen.

He who creates peace in His celestial heights, may He create peace for us and for all Israel; and say,


Amen.

No comments: