Monday, August 30, 2010

My reply to the situation at hand. . .

"I am confused as well. In the 5 years I have been working for PNTS*, I have never collaborated on any aspect of my class with any of the other sociology faculty, especially since there have been changes in who is teaching what classes over the course of those years. I understand the need for a core curriculum, but in my time at PNTS*that was treated as a map for the goals of the class, not a blueprint for all instructors to follow. Each instructor led their students to those goals using their own personal strengths in their classrooms, and at the end of each semester, each class took a unique path to the same destination- the amazing race to knowledge as it were. I know that there have been changes at the campus level, transitions and such, and that there has been an increase in interest about this course as a Liberal Arts core class- however, there was never any discussion about collaboration, much less any meetings between us scheduled by the SBS department, so I am very confused as to why you felt such a collaboration existed.

In addition, the path toward the outcome that you are describing involves a great deal more than what an adjunct's compensation covers, with those meetings and discussions and a lot of intensive writing, and as an adjunct, it is beyond what I am currently paid, and I just do not have the financial reserves to do this much work for free. As you recall, in May I emailed you about possible work for the summer, due to the fact I lost funding for my research due to budget cuts, this would have been a fine opportunity for someone like me to have, especially since I plan on teaching after I earn my doctorate. I would have be more than willing to apply for it, and if given the job would have been happy to develop such a document as well as train new instructors in the process- much like I am helping with in my other job. As an adjunct, I am not paid over the summer, indeed I worked at McDonald's this summer to pay my bills, so I would have welcomed the chance to apply for this kind of job for the summer.

So, I admit to being as confused as you are about this issue. As I am supposed to be in class teaching this course at 9:05am in 2 days, I would appreciate an update on this situation as soon as you are able."

Stay tuned. . . .

*Peanuts;)

No comments: