Sunday, January 18, 2009

Precious Thoughts


Happy Precious

Looking up


Deep thoughts. . .



So many things have been going on lately- it is amazing how fast this school year is going, too fast, as the kids get older and older, the time just speeds by- and I find myself wanting to pause it, stop it, and hold so many of these days for as long as I can. . .knowing that it is just going to get worse, and sooner than I am ready for it, they will be old enough to go out on their own. .. but until then, I have these years, so few, to protect them, care for them, and know they are safe every day. . .and there is hope, big time, that Precious, in due time will take his place out there too.


The biggest change that has happened with Precious is his very real and expressed cognitive thoughts. He has really been amazing in his development of 1. thinking of something and then 2. expressing it!


Nothing in the world can really prepare you for the experience of having a child that requires special care- but WOW- you are humbled as a parent on 2 fronts- 1. you NEVER take any achievement, no matter how small, for granted again, and 2. You realize how much you take for granted every day.




With typical kids- the milestones are seen as an eventuality, and they usually arrive as scheduled. . .logged into a baby book, or something, but a mental checklist has some item checked off as these occur. . .and that is just how it goes. . .until you have a child with a different checklist, or maybe a much less ambitious one. . .and then, everything changes.





At this stage in his education, 3rd grade, I find I STILL have to educate people about my son. . .to the point of ad nausea um. . .and and shocked that I am still shocked by the ignorance about him as a person, and how willing some are to see him as autism, not a child.

Case in point, after years of speech therapy, and a HUGE amount of advancement in his verbal communication. . .I was asked if I wanted him to learn how to use a computer to speak. . .WTF people??? Give me a fucking break with this, you wanna take a kid who can speak, is doing better and better over time, and take that away for a computer?? Come on!

It gets better- she READ it somewhere that an autistic kid used one to talk. . .yeah, about that. . .NOT ALL AUTISTIC KIDS ARE THE SAME!


Sigh-

But Precious is inspiring to see, every day, and for more reasons than I can count- I am proud to be a Rainmom!








1 comment:

Chetter said...

Okay, I hope you don't take this the wrong way - but here goes:

Reading about your experiences with Precious have made me NOT take my "normal" (whatever normality is) kid for granted. I still get excited when I see him walk or run because I know how amazing it is. All the knowledge that I take for granted (like where my nose is) is all stuff that has to be learned and he is learning. I try not to gloss over the everyday and live in a "I can't wait until he's [insert age here]" mentality. Everyday with ANY child is a miracle, no matter who the child is or what the child is capable of. Every kid has talents and things they do better than anyone else can - EVERY kid.

I get irritated when people want to take the easy way out (such as having Precious "talk" through a computer). Yeah, it might be easier, but is it actually good?