Sunday, March 16, 2008

Thanks so much, Butter!

From the archive-Thanks for pushing for getting Casey, the amazing pound puppy!!!

Dearest Butter,
Yes, I know your birthday is coming up, and I know how badly you want a puppy, really really bad. I have been listening to you drop hints the size of the droppings I will be forced to pick up when you get over being a puppy owner, about July, I am guessing, as you continue the full court press for your newest "best friend."
Someday, when you are as old as I am, you will understand why I, even though I love you more and more everyday, have no intention of getting you this puppy this year.
No, not because Precious is "not unautistic yet", but we do have to make sure that any dog we get had good mommies and daddies (cha CHING, purebred with established verified bloodlines and temperment), not because I am an evil dog hater, you remember how hard it was for Ema to bury Ladyhawke last year, not because I want to keep the house free of dogs either.
Butter, when we get a puppy, he/she will be like a baby brother or sister here. We will have to take care of this puppy like any human baby. Spend time with the puppy, walk the puppy, and take the puppy to the doctor for check ups, shots, and if they get sick. We have to make sure the puppy is fed, has time to play with us, and gets plenty of attention.
While a puppy is a great thing, it is a LIVING thing, Bibi, and once you are "over" having one, that puppy will still need all of those things I said before. SOMEONE will have to feed the puppy, walk the puppy, pay attention to the puppy, and like it or not, that someone will end up being me.Now, I know that I will probably lose this battle, and your dad will bring that pricey pootch into this house to make your 8th birthday great.
So, I make the following promises:
1. I will not tell you "I told you so" when the puppy chews up your toys because you left them for her to get at.
2. I will try not to laugh too much when you make faces as you "clean up after" your puppy takes care of business. I will just think about the YEARS that this duty will be mine, that will make that smile turn upside down.
3. I will remember how much you can learn from being even an occasional pet owner, and hope for the best.
Love you kiddo!
Ema

No comments: