Monday, April 27, 2009

Taking Stock

Salem, MA 2008



So, having had time to think about this whole last few weeks. . .and getting even more angry than I was before. . .

In replaying the conversation in my mind, the true tone of the whole exchange is remarkable in that 1. I wonder if he would have had this discussion with a man, and 2. did he REALLY think that by stating that I was really acting out of selfishness, this "degree seeking behavior" that he was "helping me"?

Notice what is absent from the conversation, he never suggests things like getting help from their dad, try to get your older kids to do more, is there any support network you can tap into. . .none of this plays a part. . .how about looking at the "life change"? Maybe I have been a bit more wounded by the events of the past few years than I let myself feel. . .no we will have none of THAT. . .give up, get a real job (never mind if it can pay enough to support your kids long term! Don't worry your pretty little head about that li'l old detail. . .kitten!)

So- do it on your own, and change YOUR "destructive" behavior of academic and professional advancement. . .woman!

And the relaxation suggestions? Feh! Google the ways to relax, go ahead, I dare you. . .

I did, then I made a list, checked it twice, and here is what I came up with-

Ummm, hell to the NO


I mean COME ON. . .how is this supposed to help? I do not enjoy it, it is NOT relaxing. . .and it is MORE time and energy to burn on a "project. . .NEXT!

Hmmmm- yeah, this is real day brightener/non stress way to spend time. . .

what was that other thing. . .oh YEAH. . .

The oh so relaxing. . .BATH

See, I would have to go somewhere for this to work. . .no kids banging on the door begging to come in. . .pleading to use the potty. . .bored kids, fighting kids. . .tattle tales and whiners. What's that? Wait until they are asleep and THEN do the bath???

Ummm- nope after they go to bed, I relax with my reading lists and this, these, and dreams of this

Degree seeking behavior. . .sheesh!

1 comment:

laurafingerson said...

The bath reminds me of your MA paper! Dang, chromotherapy?! I had never heard of that until I read about a fancy bathroom in the paper on Sunday. Too funny. Things I never would imagine existed. Although, that bath does sound awesome......in fact, the whole Kohler spa experience sounds awesome!!

By the way -- support network? Time to road trip to Minnesota!!