Monday, July 9, 2007

The New Year Rings in. . .

Hello again,

My name is {Rainmom} and I have written to you a few times about my son. Once again, I would like to tell you how wonderful my son has been doing at his school. I am so proud of him and the progress he has made.

Although I had worried how the summer lag would affect his behavior last fall, he surprised me at how willingly and eagerly he began his studies. His new teachers have brought out the best in my son, along with the other members of his educational team. They have all done a remarkable job, and I could not be more pleased and supportive of their efforts on my son's behalf.

Sadly, the relationship between my husband and I and the current principal of his school has not improved. In fact, events in the past 2 days have actually brought further deterioration of that already shaky relationship. This person continues to treat my husband and I with an utter lack of respect, and has been very inappropriate in her conduct. We are both in agreement that her conduct needs to be brought to your attention, and some sort of understanding reached.

We are not going to remove our child from the loving and supportive environment he is now in, we do not feel that would be fair. However, we also no longer want to be subjected to the unprofessional and rude treatment of the current principal.

I am asking that my husband and I be allowed to create a chain of contact, in lieu of face to face contact with this individual from this point forward. She has made it very clear that she is not interested in respecting us, and our concern for our son's special needs. While we have been contemplating our options under the ADA as well as FERPA, neither one of us wants to act without giving the district a chance to work with us. We feel we have ample support for a formal complaint against this person, a pattern of behavior that goes beyond the events of the past 2 days. Yet, we want what is best for our son, and what is best for him is his continued path, at this school, with the great people he has come to love. It is not about anything beyond that.

I wish to meet with you this week, and discuss plans that can make the rest of his school years at this school uneventful and happy. It is in his best interest for us to come to an understanding with this person, and to create the framework that will allow for communication as well as respect for our status as parents.

I look forward to hearing from you or your representative to set up a meeting.

Sincerely,

{Rainmom}

No comments: